Wednesday 3 October 2007

Tips for renewing old sofa

My family and I have been using the blue sofa set in my living room for the past nine years. It is covered with PU and there has been very little need for any maintenance except an occassional wipe down with a wet cloth. The problem is, since about a year ago, it is getting worn out at the arm-rests and the seat of the three-seater. I thought it is time to change to another new sofa set and so I began to shop around. There was a particular set that I like and my family also like it but there is no stock of any sofa with the particular colour we wanted, until after the Hari Raya Puasa, which will be in two weeks' time.

Meanwhile, I tried to do something to cover the defects on the old sofa set. I bought some cloth of matching colour and tried to see how it will look like if I velcro it down. The effect was not very good.

Today I bought a mattress pad which covers and fits the three-seater quite well. Then I bought a roll of wall paper which is sticky on one side and my husband and I managed to cover the arm-rests of the sofa rather well. Wow! The old sofa has been given a new lease of life! It really looks good now. And it is just as comfortable as it was before! All at the cost of under RM70. We have saved a big bundle but not having to buy a new set of sofa (Rm3000)!!!!!! Another benefit is that we are saving the earth by prolonging the use of our sofa set, not using up more of the earth's resources in buying a new sofa set and not dirtying the earth by throwing out an old sofa set! Why not try my innovation if you need to give your old sofa set a face-lift!!!

1 comment:

Julie Jones said...

It's true! Re-upholstering old sofa saves a lot. I also invested on sofa covers since I am not very good at sewing. My new sofa covers have made my old sofa look new again. My friends and other guests like my new living room thinking that I have spent a lot of pennies for it.