Sunday 30 September 2007

Living with unanswered prayers.

God is All-powerful ! And He loves me so much He even died on the cross for me. But why doesn't He answer my prayer to heal me of my diabetes? Over the years, I have been crying to God to heal me but my diabetes has gotten worse and worse. Last Tuesday, my physician told me my oral medication is not able to control my diabetes and I have to start injecting myself with insulin everyday to try and control my blood sugar level. Why does God allow this to happen to me? He knows I am so scared of needles and not only do I have to be injected everyday, I must do it myself!!! Where is God when it hurts so much?

These are the questions a friend of mine has been asking. He is down right depressed about his medical condition. I hope that as his brothers and sisters in Christ, we who are in his home fellowship will be able to walk alongside him during this very trying period in his life and be able to encourage him to continue to believe that God still loves him and that He is still sovereignly in control of all things in spite of what he is going through. This is certainly a test of his faith. It is easy to say you believe in God's love and power when everything is going well for you. But when sickness or crisis strikes, are we able to continue believing that God is all He claims to be in the Bible? It takes faith to do that. May God increase my brother's faith in Him during this trial !

I have been wondering why is it that this brother cannot see the insulin injections as God's answer to his prayers for good health? The insulin injections can help regulate his blood sugar level and thus prevent his kidneys from getting destroyed too early in his life. Personally, I feel that we as God's children have no right to dictate to God how He should answer our prayers. Is He really God if He has to grant us all our wishes according to our ways? Can we not believe that His wisdom and knowledge far supercedes ours? If so, we must accept His ways of answering our prayers. God is alive and He is true to all that He says He is in the Bible. Often, it is our wrong understanding and intrepretation of His Word that shipwreck our faith in Him.

It is true that God can heal and He does want us to have good health. But according to the Bible the world we live in is a fallen one. Our human bodies are no longer what God had intended them to be when He first created Adam and Eve. Because of sin, we now have to live with sicknesses, injuries, aging, etc. Philip Yancey says that we will not be willing to leave this earth and go to heaven if we live in continuous good health!

Nonetheless, I must understand that I do not have to bear the cross that my brother is bearing now and I do not fully understand all his feelings because I am not him. I must not be critical of his response to his predicament but I must try to be there for him and his family as they go through this difficult period. I am sure God will help them to get used to the routine of the daily insulin injections and I am praying that soon, peace and joy will return to this family, especially to this particular brother. Sure, I believe God is capable of healing him completely of his diabetes but we should not love God any less if He does not heal him. Our faith in Him must not waver when we go through the storms of life!!!

3 comments:

Alex Tang said...

hi,

Thank you for your post on unanswered prayers. Most of the times, we do not know why God allows certain things to happen. I guess in the end, it boils down to this- trust the Lord and pick up our crosses and carry them.

Nice blog :-)

Anonymous said...

That doesn't really sound convincing. So we're supposed to put our faith in a seemingly helpless God and just "carry our crosses"? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of believing in a God?

Swee Lee Tan said...

Dear Anonymous,
God is Almighty and definitely not helpless nor hapless. But sometimes, to Him, it is more important for us to learn some crucial lessons and to grow in our character, than to be healed of our disease. Eg.patience and perseverance, empathy for others who are sick, deep appreciation for other gifts from God such as those who care for us, the brevity and fragility of life, etc. The purpose of believing in God is more than getting His blessings such as health, wealth,peace, etc. It is to know God and to make Him known. A sickness often helps us to know God better and if we have positive attitudes towards the sickness we have to live with, others around us will know the goodness of our God . I am not suggesting we try to get sick to able to know God or make Him known. We are responsible to take good care of our bodies and seek medical treatment when we need it. But when there is no hope of a medical solution and God has not granted a miraculous healing, we can accept it as something through which God can some good, to me and others around me.
Thanks for your comment, anyway. Keep them coming my way, ok?