Thursday 20 September 2007

Taking care of our elderly parents

This morning I need to take my 83 year old mum to Sarawak General Hospital. She needs an xray, some blood tests and medicine for her diabetes, clogged arteries, leg pain, etc.

She has taken care of me while I was young. Now we have reversed our roles and I am happy to be able to serve her in some ways. She used to stay in Kluang, Johor and I in Kuching, Sarawak, separated by the South China Sea.

My third sister used to help her get her medicine and bring her to the clinics. She faithfully did this for many years. May I be found to be faithful and willing, in my service to my mum.

My mother-in-law is also staying with us . We used to wonder if the two old ladies could get along alright. But we knew God wanted us to take care of them. So we trusted God to make things work out right and that there will be peace and harmony in our home. Thank God that He did and we hope our children will also see that there is joy in taking care of elderly parents!

1 comment:

STRICTLY INDUSTRY said...

This is awesome. What would you say to me who is taking care of my elderly mom. I am a only child. I left a full time job bringing in 80% of the income to take a night job that laid me off. I now work part time and only bring in 10% of the income. I has been a strain financially, mentally and physically. Pray for me. Thanks!